Rogue Sun is a team of digital dreamers based in leafy Guildford, UK currently seeking an Experienced Unity Rapid Prototyping / Gameplay Engineer to join our growing team.
Founded in 2016 by a trio of developers who first met while working on the Fable Franchise at the historic Lionhead Studios. Rogue Sun's first two projects were signed by Oculus and Sony and now is focused on a new PC & Next-Gen Console title, backed by a major publisher, which will present an exciting challenge for any Video Game Gameplay Coder
Working closely with creative leads, you will be responsible for rapidly prototyping key mechanics and features and striving to make them as fun as they can be through iteration and playtesting. This is an amazing opportunity to be involved in the early phases of development of a major title based on a popular, exciting and much beloved IP. This is a role for an engineer with a passion for slick and fun gameplay, the ability to iterate and prototype rapidly, but also to fine tune and polish once we have zeroed in on the intended experience.
What you will do:
- Work very closely with the design team to understand requirements for aspirational features and own the prototyping development process
- Build rapid prototypes in Unity with a view to validate design assumptions or “fail fast” where appropriate
- Rapidly iterate on feedback from playtesting and the design team
- Add “juicing” to prototypes where necessary to accurately capture and convey the intended player experience. Work with design team to identify best bang for buck ratio on juicing vs rapid prototyping
- Sit in on playtests and actively participate in insightful analysis of the players’ experience of your prototypes. Collaborate with design team on learnings and follow up iteration
- When prototypes have been proven and signed off for full production, plan and architect the process of turning them into full gameplay systems. Aim for robustness, extensibility and openness to iteration from other coders and the content creation teams
- Drive and aid the technical development of these features during full production
- At the end of production, work closely with the design and content creation teams to fine tune, QA, polish, balance and add final juicing to gameplay systems
- Advanced level of experience with the Unity game engine and its multitude of features (UI, animation, input, effects, graphics, physics, sound, AI etc)
- Demonstrable ability to rapidly turn specifications into simple playable prototypes
- 3-5 years of industry experience / 2+ released titles
- An understanding and passion for gameplay, design, UX, juicing and optimising the “end user experience”
- Strong C# / C++ skills
- Ability to write clean, performant, elegant, readable, extendable and well commented code
- Self-motivated approach to work.
- Excellent work ethic, communication skills and experience working effectively in a small agile team.
Bonus points for:
- Previously worked on a digital TCG game in the style of Hearthstone, MtG, Slay the Spire, Gwent etc
- Experience with Unity DOTS/ECS and the Data Oriented Design paradigm
- Familiar with the term “Feel Engineer” and excited by being in a role that covers similar responsibilities
- Love of games (whether digital or physical)
- Happy to work autonomously / assume big areas of responsibility / manage own schedule.
- Competitive Salary
- Flexible Working
- Workplace Pension, including employer contributions
- Company shared books / games library
- Access to ½ price Cinema Tickets, up to 5% off at supermarkets and many other discounts at high-street and online brands
As a growing company and team, we are always looking to expand the benefits we offer! Join us and we’d be glad to hear your suggestions.
If you think this sounds a lot like you we can’t wait to hear from you at email@example.com